Wednesday, August 24, 2016

.... So You're "Just" a Housewife

About 1.5 to 2 years ago I told my husband I didn't think I could ever be a housewife. Before you start glaring at me if you are one, let me explain. I'll just be blatantly honest ... one of my biggest blessings/struggles is DOING. I'm a perfectionist and an overachiever. I always have been and I'm positive I always will be. I like to do. Do this, do that, & do e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. else, because of what it does on the inside for me. It makes me feel accomplished. It makes me feel worthy. It makes me feel good enough. 

You don't have to tell me, I already know ... the Bible tells us that our worth is found in more than just who we are on the outside and what we do. Like I said, it's a struggle people. 

It's funny how we often find ourselves in the very situations we say we won't be in. If you ask me, God has a way of making us bite our own tongues. I'll give you one guess as to what my current job status is ... you guessed it, I'm a HOUSEWIFE.

Since quitting my job and becoming a housewife, I've heard some of these remarks more times than I can count: (Enjoy the responses I'm thinking in my head while said remarks are stated)
"So you're just a housewife?" Why yes, yes, I am JUST a housewife.
"Then WHAT do you do all day?!"  Well, I don't sit around eating bonbons while watching season 57 of Days of Our Lives if that's what you're thinking!!
"When are you going to find a job?" Like I've told you and every other person 23 times before: THIS is my job.. just because I don't slather on make-up and get in my car to drive to a work place, doesn't mean I don't do a job every day!

I'd be lying if I said these words didn't bother me and that it's been an easy adjustment. Often times I struggle with the mundane feelings I get from doing the same things every single day ... make the bed, fold the laundry, put the dishes away, make dinner, etc., etc., etc. Those things seem never ending and it's really hard to be content with where I am some days.

It's easy to feel like I'm not accomplishing much and my day-to-day tasks don't have purposeful meaning. But the other day I was working on said mundane tasks, when I felt so strongly in my spirit these words:


FIND JOY IN THE MUNDANE

Of course they were hard to swallow ... because really, what joy is there in scooping the litter box for what seems like the 85th time this week?? I'm thinking, okay God, if You want me to find joy in scooping the litter box or taking the garbage out, You're going to have to help me, that's for sure! But I know those words came from Jesus and for that I have to trust Him and the lesson He's trying to teach me.

I feel like there are so many teachable moments throughout our day-to-day lives. So many moments that God wants to speak to our situations and lighten our hearts with His words. He knew just what I needed to hear in that moment and for this season of life. Maybe it's what you need to hear to -- to find joy even in the mundane, every day, grind of life. To trust that He has you and knows where you are at this moment. To believe that what you're doing has meaning and purpose.

For the one, who like me, is a do-er and struggles with finding joy in the mundane there are so many lessons I feel like I could hone in on, on this post, for you and for me that God has been revealing as I've been writing. Like finding joy, self-worth and value, trusting Him; but I feel like He's been shouting this one at me these last few days and I need to share it. If you don't take anything else away from this post, at least take this 



>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<



4 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm so glad you got sucked back to Facebook land. I know that I can get to you and your blog other ways, but since you've been back on fb just about everything that you post reaches me. It reaches me very deep. I love you and thanks so much for this post. I needed to hear this, TODAY. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh friend, I pray after every inspirational post I write and ask God to use my words to touch somebody. I'm so thankful to know that they meant something to you. You know I'm here if you ever need an ear or some prayer.. I'm just a Facebook message away ;) LOVE YOU and I'm praying for you!

      Delete
  2. This post definitely has me thinking. I have a job outside the home, but definitely need to think about what my "purpose" is there and at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're able to find joy in this roll! It's definitely an important roll to have! <3

    ReplyDelete

Design + Development by Dream Thinker Design. Powered by Blogger.